COVID-19 Vaccine Now Available for ages 6 months to 4 years old
We finally have a COVID-19 vaccine available for young children.
On June 18, 2022, the CDC - based on the recommendation of their Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) - approved two COVID-19 vaccines for children under 5 years old.
The pediatricians at RCAM enthusiastically endorse this recommendation, and you may now call our office to schedule.
A few details about COVID-19 vaccine for ages 6 months to 4 years at RCAM:
- We are offering the Pfizer-BioNTech version of COVID-19 vaccine. The Moderna COVID-19 vaccine has also been approved but is not available at RCAM.
- The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is given as a 3-dose primary series.
- When you call to schedule your child's vaccine, we will schedule visits for all 3 doses:
- 2nd dose is at least 21 days after the first
- 3rd dose is at least 2 months after the 2nd
- It is okay if a delay occurs between doses - we will not have to start over if the intervals go longer. However, it is our goal to schedule visits as close to the recommended intervals as possible.
- We cannot give the COVID-19 vaccine during a well visit due to the vaccine's storage requirements. It can only be given during a visit specifically designated and scheduled for COVID-19 vaccine.
Helpful link: From the AAP's website healthychildren.org, what you need to know about COVID vaccination under 5 years old.
Other places offering the COVID-19 vaccine for younger children:
- Health Park Pharmacy is offering COVID-19 vaccine for children ages 3 years old and up.
- Wake County Health Department - we expect that the WCHD will be offering the vaccine age 6 months and up but their website has not been updated yet.
COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Doses for ages 5 to 11 years old
On May 19, 2022, The CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunizations Practices (ACIP) met and expanded their recommendation for COVID-19 Vaccine Booster doses to include all children ages 5 years old and up.
See below for other options for getting your child their COVID vaccination.
Who Needs a COVID Vaccine Booster?
Here the CDC website offers an up-to-date summary of COVID Vaccine Booster recommendations.
Other Options for COVID Vaccination
uVax.oneTM describes itself as "a one-stop digital platform that connects patient with COVID-19 vaccination sites." It organizes information about where you can get your COVID vaccine and pairs you with the ones closest to you.
- Register a new account and schedule with uVax.one here.
- If you already have an account, you can log in here.
CDC - information about COVID-19 vaccination sites at vaccines.gov.
UNC Healthcare - information about COVID-19 vaccination sites here.
Health Park Pharmacy - we have gotten feedback from patients that Health Park Pharmacy offers COVID-19 vaccination. Also, multiple have reported to us that Health Park does a good job with giving the vaccine to children.
The ACIP has Recommended COVID Vaccine for Children 5 to 11 years old.
Most pediatricians follow the recommendation of the CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) about who should get vaccine.
That committee met Tuesday, November 2, 2021 and voted overwhelmingly to recommend COVID vaccine for children ages 5 to 11 years old.
FDA Grants EUA for COVID Vaccine for Children 5 to 11 years old
On Friday, October 29, 2021, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) granted emergency use authorization (EUA) for the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine for patients aged 5 to 11 years old.
The American Academy of Pediatrics has summarized information about this new recommendation here.