GREEN LIGHT: Now scheduling COVID Vaccine for 5 to 11 year olds
Today, we are in "Green Light" status which means you may call and schedule your 5 to 11 year old for their COVID vaccine.
Appointment availability comes down to two things:
- COVID vaccine supply - We get our vaccine from the Wake County Health Department.
- Nurses volunteering to work extra to manage a COVID vaccine clinic - Our Nurses (as well as other staff) have been very generous with their time throughout the pandemic. When you get your vaccine, be sure to tell your nurse, "Thank you."
We will update here as appointments become available.
A few notes about scheduling COVID vaccine:
- Call 919-781-7490 during regular business hours. Do not call to schedule after 5pm on weekdays or on the weekends.
- We will need to schedule two visits: COVID vaccine requires 2 doses separated by 21 days.
- We are unable to schedule COVID vaccine for anyone 12 years and older at this time while we focus on vaccinating our 5 to 11 year old population
Other Options for COVID Vaccination
uVax.oneTM describes itself as "a one-stop digital platform that connects patient with COVID-19 vaccination sites." It organizes information about where you can get your COVID vaccine and pairs you with the ones closest to you.
- Register a new account and schedule with uVax.one here.
- If you already have an account, you can log in here.
CDC - information about COVID-19 vaccination sites at vaccines.gov.
UNC Healthcare - information about COVID-19 vaccination sites here.
The ACIP has Recommended COVID Vaccine for Children 5 to 11 years old.
Most pediatricians follow the recommendation of the CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) about who should get vaccine.
That committee met Tuesday, November 2, 2021 and voted overwhelmingly to recommend COVID vaccine for children ages 5 to 11 years old.
COVID Vaccine at RCAM for Children 5 to 11 Years Old
The pediatricians at RCAM (and pretty much every where else) enthusiastically endorse this new recommendation for the COVID vaccine and have been working for months to be prepared to administer it to any eligible patient.
Now that the ACIP is behind it, we will begin scheduling as soon as we have possession of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine intended for 5 to 11 years old.
At that time, we will post to this website when we start to schedule vaccination. Until then, we will not be able to schedule any 5 to 11 year olds. We also not be able to keep a "waiting list."
We are suspending giving COVID Vaccine to 12 Years Old and Up
To focus on the 5 to 11 year old demographic, we have suspended vaccination for patients ages 12 years and up.
That vaccine will still be available elsewhere. Demand for the older age group has diminished since we began over the summer and we anticipated a lot of demand to vaccine our 5 to 11 year olds.
This will be a Massive Effort
It will likely take months of appointments to cover that demographic.
Like so many things with the COVID pandemic, this too will take a big community effort to get the job done. We anticipate there will be multiple options for getting your child their COVID vaccine (other options listed above).
FDA Grants EUA for COVID Vaccine for Children 5 to 11 years old
On Friday, October 29, 2021, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) granted emergency use authorization (EUA) for the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine for patients aged 5 to 11 years old.
The American Academy of Pediatrics has summarized information about this new recommendation here.