Undergraduate: North Carolina State University
Medical School: University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Pediatric Residency: University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Dr. Long grew up in Greensboro, NC. Though her academic career included significant time in Chapel Hill, she is clear that her heart remains with her undergraduate school, North Carolina State University.
- Family: My husband Brandon is an environmental/chemical engineer. We have one son born in 2015 and a great dane named Grace.
- Hometown: I was born and raised in Greensboro, NC
- When first considered becoming a pediatrician: Began considering pediatrics in college but I have always known I wanted to work with children.
- Why pediatrics: It was a way to combine love of people, service, and science. I’m a bit of a control-freak (probably not the best thing to advertise) but I liked the challenge and responsibility that physicians had for coordinating all aspects of health. I always was very involved in working with kids (babysitting, coaching an elementary school cheerleading squad, teaching Sunday school, volunteering at a special needs school, etc.) so it was a natural fit, but I also really like the preventative and developmental aspects of pediatrics. I like that it’s always a new experience because you never know how a child is going to react or what’s going to come out of their mouths. I like working with new parents and being able to alleviate worries. I love being able to laugh at work.
- Sports allegiance: I love NC State athletics (I was there for the Phillip Rivers years).
- Interests, hobbies: I love to travel and learn about new cultures. I’ve been to England, Ireland, France, Switzerland, Austria, Greece, Czech Republic, Hungary, Kenya, Dominican Republic and hope to make it to every continent (except Antarctica b/c I’m not really a cold weather fan) before I die. My husband is helping me learn to love camping and hiking and such. I also love to bake.
- Favorite Vacation: Just after finishing my residency and before starting at RCAM, Brandon and I took a trip to Greece that was truly amazing!