“What if I have an urgent, medical concern about my child outside of regular office hours?”
Care after regular office hours – in the evenings, on weekends and on holidays:
If you have a concern outside of regular office hours that you feel is urgent and can’t wait until the next business day, simply call our regular office number: 919-781-7490.
- If you have trouble getting through at that number outside of regular office hours, you may call our answering service number as a backup number at 919-831-5526.
- An RCAM pediatrician is “on call” for after hours care every day (including weekends and holidays). The On-Call Doctor covers our patients’ urgent medical needs that occur outside of regular office hours and manages the care of our newborns at Rex Hospital.
Weekday After Hours:
- The Weekday After Hours Clinic begins at the close of regular business hours sometime after 5pm.
- The On Call Pediatrican will see patients in our Duraleigh Office by appointment only.
- Weekday After Hours On Call Clinic does not end before 7pm.
- Call to speak to the Nurse working with the On Call Pediatrician to determine if your child needs to be seen in the Weekday After Hours Clinic
Weekend After Hours:
- The Weekend After Hours Clinic typically begins on Saturday at 10am and on Sunday at 11am.
- The On Call Pediatrican will see patients in our Duraleigh Office (by appointment only; there are no walk in appointments)
- Call anytime if you have an urgent question or concern.
- If you think your child may need to be seen, try to call early (between 8 and 10am is best on Saturday; between 9 and 11am is best on Sunday). Our answering service will take your information and the Nurse working with the On Call Pediatrician will call you back. The Nurse gives phone advice and schedules patients for the Weekend After Hours Clinic.
Holiday After Hours:
- Our office observes seven holidays: New Year’s Day (January 1st), Good Friday (Easter), Memorial Day (last Monday in May), Independence Day (July 4th), Labor Day (first Monday in September), Thanksgiving (4thThursday in November), and Christmas Day (December 25th)
- Christmas Day is the only day of the year that we are unable to see patients in our office.
- Other than Christmas Day, for holidays we are open for a limited clinic at the Duraleigh Office (by appointment only; there are no walk in appointments)
- Holiday After Hours Clinic typically operates similar to our Sunday Weekend After Hours clinic (see above; best to call between 9 and 11am but call anytime if you have an urgent question or concern); clinic begins at 11am;
After After Hours?
- After the After Hours Clinic has ended and we have left our office, our On Call Pediatrician is available by phone for urgent concerns about your child. Just call the number listed above and our answering service will text the On Call Pediatrician who will then call you back.
- Overnight from 11pm to 8am, messages are sent first to the WakeMed Nurse Phone Triage. Those nurses handle most concerns that come up. The On Call Pediatrician is always available if further concerns arise.