August 26, 2015 – School has begun. As we wonder where our summer went, here comes talk in the news about flu and the sidewalk signs are beginning to appear in front of our pharmacies telling us its time to get our flu shot.
A few initial thoughts about flu vaccine as RCAM looks to the 2015-16 flu season:
- The CDC and the pediatricians at RCAM recommend that just about everyone 6 months and older get the flu vaccine every year.
- If your child is under the age of 9 years old and getting the vaccine for the first time, plan to get two doses at least a month apart.
- Get the flu vaccine but avoid getting a shot! FluMist nasal spray can be given to healthy children who are at least 2 years old and don’t have an underlying chronic illness.
- The regular flu shot will also be available for anyone over 6 months old.
- RCAM will likely begin flu vaccination at the end of September or October. Follow this blog – watch our Facebook or Twitter pages – we will get the word out as we begin to offer flu vaccine.