June 21, 2017 – Yesterday was the official beginning of summer, so yesterday we said “goodbye” to spring – and “goodbye” to our spring website banner picture of ‘family walking on the partially tree-shaded path‘.
We welcome summer, and – with summer – we welcome a new summer website banner picture: “Welcome” we say to ‘three children at the pool with a pink floaty’.
A few things going on this summer at Raleigh Children and Adolescents Medicine:
- CHECK UPS: Did you know that your teenage child’s well visit (a.k.a. “checkup” or “complete physical”) meets the requirements for participating in school sports? At that visit, we can complete your child’s school sports form (and in Wake County that will cover the next 13 months of athletic participation). If you need a form completed and you have already had a check up this year – no worries – we can complete that form based on information gathered at that visit. There is no need for a ‘Physical’ at an Urgent Care or a Pharmacy Clinic. Just send us your school’s sports form with your portion already completed. You can drop it by, mail it, or send it to us through your email or fax.
- NEW PEDIATRICIAN joining RCAM! Dr. Emily Ross begins August 1st. More about Dr. Ross later, but we are excited for her to join the RCAM-ily for the next 40 or so years (imagine the stories she will tell at RCAM’s 90th anniversary).
- ePRESCRIBING MEDICATIONS that previously required a hand-delivered, paper hard copy: For over 10 years, we have been able to send most prescriptions electronically directly to your pharmacy. This practice reduces transcription errors and typically is more convenient for our patients. However, certain medications have continued to require a paper hard copy that must then be hand-delivered to the pharmacy. The Pediatricians at RCAM are currently working through the authorization process for sending these prescriptions electronically. We are happy to offer a service that improves patient safety and convenience.
- PAYMENTS THROUGH THE PATIENT PORTAL: Do you prefer electronic bill paying? Coming in July, payments on your account will be able to be made electronically through our Patient Portal.
- CHINI WAPI DONATIONS: Many will recall Dr. Rick Gessner and his family spent 2 years on a medical mission in Kenya. His daughter Anna returns there this month and she has been collecting women’s underwear to distribute to women there living in prisons or remote tribes. You may have seen signs in our office about her trip. She collected more than 800 pairs. We estimate 200-250 were donated by families at RCAM. Thank you for your contributions.
And now, what would summer fun be without your pediatrician there to remind you about safety?
- A brief video from the AAP about sun protection:
- If you like lists (I know you are out there), here are some tips from the AAP’s website: healthychildren.org: Summer Safety Tips
- Finally, from our local paper, The News & Observer, here is a video about what to do should you find yourself in a rip current. A terrifying thought, but more proof that having the right information can save your life: